[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] EWZ Files & Deportation to Siberia

George Shoning shoning at q.com
Tue Feb 12 18:35:18 PST 2008

Hello Kyle,

Regarding EWZ documents, EWZ is an abbreviation for the German EinWanderungsZentralstelle (my capitals) meaning central immigration station. These documents were created by German authorities at stations where Germans from the East were received into the German Reich.  These ethnic Germans (for the most part) were screened for being truly German and not of Jewish lineage.  These documents contain a substantial amount of ancestry, education, residence, and relationship data.

I am sure others will provide you additional information about the EWZ documents.

George Shoning  > Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:23:54 -0600> From: kylesattler at sasktel.net> To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org> Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] EWZ Files & Deportation to Siberia> > Hello SGGEE members,> > I am asking for some help on my Zietz family from Ekaterinoslav,> Russia (southern Ukraine). They were German Russians. My great-great> grandfather, Bernhard Zietz (originally Sietz?) and his family> immigrated in December 1923-January 1924 as I have mentioned in previous> postings. His father, Peter, died in 1916 in Russia.> > Bernhard's mother and siblings were still in Ekaterinoslav during> WWII. I was wondering what records might be available for deportations> to Siberia or EWZ files. I am not really familiar with EWZ files but I> believe that they were recorded for German Russians during WWII? Did> they include the German Russians that got deported to Siberia to work in> the salt mines?> > I have been told that one of Bernhard's brothers, Aloysius, was> killed by revolutionists during the Russian Revolution as he was a> student at the university of Moscow. I understand that they were prime> targets for Revolutionists. Another brother, George, died at a young> age. Bernhard helped George's widow immigrate to Canada. From her he> found out that his mother, Regina (Malinovsky) Zietz and a brother,> Joseph, were sent to Siberia to work in the salt mines there. > Bernhard's mother, Regina, was 71 at the time of her deportation. I> would think that she would be unable to do much labour in salt mines at> that age?> > If someone could help me out on this subject, that would be greatly> appreciated!> > Greetings from the Saskatchewan winter,> > Kyle Sattler> > _______________________________________________> Ger-Poland-Volhynia Mailing List hosted by> Society for German Genealogy in Eastern Europe http://www.sggee.org> Mailing list info at http://www.sggee.org/listserv