[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] census records from Volhynia

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 27 17:09:30 PST 2008

The Zhitomir archives has census records from several different years from the 1870s to the 1890s. They are all bound together in book form.

Some things to bear in mind:

— They are not organized to help genealogists. They are not village by village, but rather in groups that are fairly hard to sort out.

— The Zhitomir archives has indexed many of the books. If your family is in the index, you are fortunate. If your family is in a book that has not been indexed, forget looking. I have gone through some of those books on two different visits there, with no luck at all. The people at the archives told me that it would be hopeless even for people who are comfortable reading old Russian handwriting.

— The census documents were compiled with the men on one side and the women on the other. Then other sheets were added, then more, then the whole works bound together. That means that if you find the males, you might then need to do major detective work to find the corresponding females.

— If you find a family, it could be terrific. Many of the early census returns show the precise village where the person was born. That can take you right back to Poland. The only catch of course is that you will need to decipher the Cyrillic handwriting and decide how the word would be spelled in Polish. The people at the archives can help on the first part, but not necessarily on the second.

I have taken photos of some census pages. I have shown them as part of my presentations at SGGEE and FEEFHS conferences in recent years. Odds are, they will be part of my presentation at SGGEE in Kelowna this summer.

Dave Obee