[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lueck Record, Vol 56, Issue 27

Linda Windmoeller marmel at pctcnet.net
Tue Jan 29 18:58:39 PST 2008

Hi to John Faunt and listmates,

For the past 8 months I've been studying up on old German handwriting,
deciphering church records from 1700-1800 Germany, and am thinking the
person who wrote the Volhynia Lutheran Parish register was of German descent
maybe?  Anyways, I'm no expert, but the first letter of the village appears
to me to be an "F", as per the example of Florentine on record #181.  Note
the top flag to the right and the center cross hatch which would indicate an
"F" (without the cross hatch it would be a "T").
And I do not see an "l" in the village name.  The person's handwriting
appears very distinct for letter's "l" and "t" being larger than the vowels
or other consonants.  And I agree the 3rd letter does not look like an "m".
But the letter "n" sometimes looks like our "u", so I think the fourth
letter is an "n".  Maybe the 3rd letter is also an "n", or maybe a "u", or
possibly even an "s" with a tail connected to the "n"?
F-o-?-n-e
F-o-n-n-e
F-o-u-n-e
F-o-s-n-e