[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] apprenticeship information?

Dave Krause davidekrause at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 13:02:11 PDT 2008

Hi List:
I am curious about apprenticeship practices - primarily in Poland.

The family story is that our dad had his left foot crushed in a
farming accident when he was about 6 years old.  His step-mother told
him he couldn't stay if he couldn't work.  My dad then said he was
taken in by a brewery owner and assigned the task of sweeping up and
replacing the sawdust in the "tavern" portion of the brewery on a
daily basis.  He did this for many years but eventually he left there
and began his journey to the U.S.

My first question is: Was there any formal apprenticeships in Poland?

Next, is there any record of individuals involved in such?  How does
one find this information?

Lastly, on dad's WWI draft registration, he listed his birth place as
Cunian, Poland, Russia.  Where is it?  Could it be Curyn, Poland?

Thanks for your input!
Dave Krause