[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Cholera

Linda Marks Pauling lmpauling at utech.net
Sun Apr 12 13:25:03 PDT 2009

another idea about "cholera." My grandparents immigrated in 1901 and had 13
children, 5 of whom died before their first birthday and all of those in the
summer months. My other grandmother had 10 children and all survived until
adulthood.
When I questioned my mother about this, she told me that the one grandmother
was unable to nurse and so the babies were fed cow's milk. She said they
called it "the milk disease." It was before the days of pasteurization and
good refrigeration. I noticed in the church register many babies' deaths
noted as "cholera."

linda