[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] When was German citizenship granted ?

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Wed Apr 22 12:35:31 PDT 2009

If I may add a bit to this rather confused picture, my reading of Robert
Koehl, "RKFDV: German Population and Resettlement Policy, 1939-1945", (1957)
tells me that (p. 120) the Interior Ministry on July 3, 1940, issued an
order on the acquisition of citizenship, but then Himmler stepped in in
September and ordered the construction of a Volkslist that would distinguish
between true Germans and pretenders.  As everyone knows, this produced 4
categories of people, from good Germans to rejects.  It seems as though the
first category of people got citizenship fairly quickly, and this could have
happened, I would guess, already in early 1940.  Probably for people in the
second category (who had 50% or more of German language and culture but had
not fought "actively" for it), had to wait a bit to be approved. It appears
that many people got "conditional" citizenship.  People in Class 3 (persons
of "some or doubtful German origin"), apparently didn't get citizenship (or
only "conditional") but could at least keep their belongings.  As the war
dragged on and the need for recruits grew, the bar was lowered.  In 1942 and
1943 (p. 197), more and more people were moved from "conditional" to
"unconditional" status, making them eligible for the army.

I'm wondering, Günther, whether the ordinance of 19 May, 1943, may have been
related to this broadening of acceptable categories of people.  I don't
think (I could be wrong) that this means that before this date citizenship
was not granted to people from the Ukraine area.  The impression I get from
Koehl is that citizenship was granted all along since perhaps late 1939 on a
case by case basis.  I'm wondering, Roland, if in all the confusion between
various organs of the government, someone could have granted your uncle
citizenship upon his arrival.  Then, perhaps, it might have been called into
question.  Or, if this didn't happen, then the date of his citizenship would
almost certainly have depended on his position in the DVL.  If he was a
good, true German (as I'm sure he was!), he might have been granted
citizenship well before May, 1943.  If, heaven forfend!, he was not, then it
may have been May, 1943.

I'm just guessing here.  What do you think, Günther?

Dick