[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] When was German citizenship granted ?

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Thu Apr 23 00:19:27 PDT 2009

Richard Benert schrieb:
> Well, it may be that I'm right, but I'm also still confused.
>
> Just a word about fleeing from the Red Army in 1939.  I think I've
> read that the Red Army, while present in Volhynia, did not pose any
> sort of threat to life and limb at that time.  In fact, they were
> instructed to help the evacuation process and, as I recall, they did,
> although not always with consummate grace.

Richard,
what I intended was: there must have been (and in fact was) a legal
basis independently of Himmler's orders and we shouldn't mix up the
continuously functioning legislation and executive bureaucracy and (as
for instance) the top secret "Endlösung der Judenfrage". And: the actual
racist substance of many acts and laws was older than the "Third Reich".

I think there was a reliable legal basis for the granting of German
citizenship (which became even better through the ongoing war) but its
actual execution was partially uncertain.

Concerning the Soviet threat: of course Stalin and Molotov calculated
the positive international impact of German peasants who lived and
prospered under Soviet rule in spite of collectivation, Gulag and the
Moscow Trials. And as I understand it, the evacuation of Germans and
Poles from Volhynia was at that time neither intended nor enforced by
the Soviet authorities.

Günther