[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ukranian immigrants calling themselves Russian

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 21 19:03:36 PST 2009

Jan,

You have already received some advice pinpointing the locations.  There
is no issue regarding Ukraine vs. Russia as this region was under
Russian rule prior to WW I and under Soviet rule after.

This region is not generally covered by our Society but there are
probably readers on this list who can point you to more fruitful
resources.  For example, someone else has done some research on another
branch of this family with the listing at
http://www.ahsgr.org/gedlist/Geor-Getz.htm .  You could try writing to
AHSGR to see if they would give you the name of that researcher.

Though that info is with AHSGR, the region is covered in more detail by
GRHS - see http://www.grhs.org .

Though the name may sound Slavic, it could still very well be German.
Many Slavic sounding surnames - such as Girschewski, Kowalski, etc. -
are used by Germans.  Some are derivations like Gershewski from Gersch
while others are translations like Kowalski from Schmidt.

Was the family Catholic?  I do not see the name in Lutheran records from
that region.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB