[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Possible project: Volhynians in Brazil

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Fri Jan 2 10:15:27 PST 2009

Mauricio,

If your interests extend to post-1930 immigration to Brazil, you will find
on the SGGEE website some information about an organization formed in 1935
(in cahoots with the German government) to find suitable immigrants to
Brazil from among German refugees in Prussia (having come there from Poland
and Volhynia after WW I).  Records relating to the transfer of families were
preserved by the Deutsches Ausland Institut and these were preserved among
the "captured German war documents" now in the U.S. National Archives.  Some
of them were filmed and are on Rolls 353 and 354 of Series T-81 of the films
in the National Archive collection.  They only filmed the correspondance of
a few dozen families (that of other families apparently still lies in the
Berlin Document Center), but they are a rich (and probably untapped) source
of genealogical information as well as clues about how the organization
functioned.

Here is the link: http://www.sggee.org/Germans_to_Brazil.html.

Dick Benert