[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polonized German Names

Otto otto at schienke.com
Tue Jan 6 11:06:37 PST 2009

To clarify Reiner's statement: "beware of Reiner - he lies!"

Reiner has never lied according to my knowledge.
The definition for 'lie' is "a false statement made with deliberate
intent to deceive"
No, never to my knowledge.

A discovery process. . . Yes.
A tendency to complexify. . . Yes.
We could go into the Dutch and East Frisian, even the Old Prussian
meanings of 'Krahn' and still be left holding 'the bird'. Then into
varying German/Norse dialects extending back to Sanskrit and still be
left holding 'the bird'. I am certain Reiner and I would enjoy the
mental stimulation as perhaps would others. The varying Platt dialects
alone would be a challenge.

The foremost problem is that most participants here speak one
language, English. So in order not to confuse them I offer the
following;
These Common American Dictionary definitions for 'Krahn' are accurate
seeing we are discussing the surname 'Krahn', and not the bird pecking
at our heels.  Dictionaries alone can be confusing—it is always on it
author's shoulders to clarify expressed meanings.

-crane
1.	any large wading bird of the family Gruidae, characterized by long
legs, bill, and neck and an elevated hind toe.
(I have relatives with the long legs, noses, and necks, yet I never
gave though to checking for the elevated hind toe. . .)
-Krahn
German: nickname for a slim or long-legged person, from Middle Low
German krane ‘crane’. Compare Kranich.

There may be variations of the surname—I've found "Kran' with a
dropped 'h' but that is all.

As I've stated before, our past histories are unique.

Even I was in error when I stated my uncle 'Albert Krahn'. Albert was
my first cousin, his father, Julius, was my uncle. So much for old
memory banks.
=======
. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 04, 2009-