[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polonized German Names

Reiner Kerp mail at reiner-kerp.de
Tue Jan 6 09:01:25 PST 2009

Dear Otto,

beware of Reiner - he lies!

> 'Krahn' in low German = 'crane', stork.
> I've never come across a variation or translation of its spelling.

"crane" - in my dictionary (phonetically: krein) Kranich, Storch.

A "Kran" that lifts loads in the harbour looks like a crane.

"stork" - in my dictionary (phonetically: sto:k) Storch. But in
low-german phonetically very similar to stark (strong).

So it´s very hard to decide wether STOREK came from Storch or stark
(strong). To stay on the safe side consider both variants.

The tendency to write an A instead of an E is as old as the Roman
Empire. As the priests and monks studied Latin they wrote their books
respectivly.

In the town were I was born, the area from where the first "Holländer"
came to Poland, I grew up with this: (Bergisch) Gladbach - auf Platt:
Jle(ä)bbisch.

KRA(H)N instead of KREN(S) or GREN(S) or KREIN or GREIN you will find
in most every church-book around Bergisch Gladbach.

With regards and the best wishes for the New Year,

Reiner (Kerp)

Landsberg am Lech, Bavaria, Germany.

mailto:mail at reiner-kerp.de

web: http://reiner-kerp.de