[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German settlement in Orel province, Russia

E. Adam ejadam at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 07:32:24 PST 2009

Hello: I wonder if anyone has some information regarding the history of German settlement in and around the province of Orel in Russia?

The war records on Odessa list a great number of people citing "Orel". And some of the birth dates indicate several generations born in that region. My family story is that my great-grandfather and others moved from Volhynia to the area in the early 20th century and founded a German village there called Kromolin (and variations thereof).

Obviously there were previous German settlements in the area, perhaps of long standing. Which might provide some context for why my ancestors went in that direction. If anyone can share some history, it would be appreciated.

My family names in that area are ADAM, DAUSE and WUTZKE, among others. I have found 28 families that appear to be from Kromolin in the war records. And some of them appear together in the same area in Volhynia in earlier generations.

Edie Adam
Virginia, USA