[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Request to All Posters

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Thu Jan 8 17:59:21 PST 2009

Earl.Schultz wrote:

> I would like to remind all posters to the List-Serve to please delete all
> parts of your email that do not apply to your message.  When you reply and
> forget to delete everyone else's posts from your post then others must wade
> through a very long post to try to find what is new.

I think Earl's comments were in reference to several recent posts where
the reply was being made to the digest form of the list's messages. When
replying to a digest that has, say 22 messages and all are included with
the reply, it becomes impossible to figure out the point of the reply
when it may be a reply to message #6, for example.

As for the quoting of mesages, some programs also allow the reply to
only include whatever the poster "selects" which eliminates the need to
delete out portions that don't apply or aren't being commented upon.

If you receive your messages in one combined post (a digest) replying
involves:

   1. finding the appropriate topic and entering it as "re: appropriate
      topic" in the subject line
   2. editing out all the other messages in the digest
   3. trimming the quotation down to just the part you wish to comment on.

It's true that different email programs handle replying and quoting
differently but the default behavior (i.e.new reply above or below the
quoted message) can usually be changed in the options/preferences of the
email client.

Likewise, posters need to pay attention to the default "reply-to"
setting. This can usually be changed so that a message goes to "all" or
"sender only".

Kenneth Browne researching:
BROWN(E) LEIGHTON TAYLOR CLOUGH/CLUFF
LACHMANN RUSSELL MORSE PETTENGILL
NOBLE SMALL WOLF MROCH LUEDTKE

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read.
 Groucho