[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Wegierka Location

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 16 18:49:36 PST 2009

We have an 1837 map that shows it in the expected
location.  In both cases it shows We~gierka (with
the diacritic hook below the first e).  My Polish
/ English dictionary shows We~gierski = of Hungary or Hungarian.

Your application of the word is probably correct
for the Hungarian Plum, a type of plum that can
be readily researched on the Internet using
GOOGLE.  See for example, "Polish Holiday
Cookery" by Robert Strybel, Page 214 (available in part through GOOGLE Books).

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca