[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Wegierka Location

Jutta Dennerlein Jutta.Dennerlein at t-online.de
Sat Jan 17 04:01:51 PST 2009

Jerry,

I'm not sure if the results of an English Google research should be
used to 'outnumber' the experience of a native speaker of Polish
(Anna) !
The truth is not the result of 'what most people think' or 'what has
been published most times'.

Especially not if the Google results mainly turn up 'Hungarian Plum
Dumplings' and 'Hungarian Plum pox virus isolates'.
In both cases 'Hungarian' does not relate to the Plum part of the
term.

My Polish-German dictionary shows two meanings for Węgierka: 1.
Ungarin [Hungarian female], 2. Hauspflaume, Zwetschge.
Zwetschgen are exactly the kind of plums which the Niedrunger grew and
dried for selling as prunes.

But I really would like to hear more about these Hungarian females
settling in the swamps of the Vistula.
Probably a matriarchy society - remains of the very old cultures of
Europe ! Let's Google for it ...

Sorry for the cynicism

Jutta Dennerlein
www.upstreamvistula.org