[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Wegierka Location

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 17 06:47:40 PST 2009

Jutta,

Please understand that I did not dispute the
interpretation of one for whom Polish is the
native language.  I simply reinterpreted the term
in context of usage on the map.

I also did not rely solely on GOOGLE.  If you
would have referred also to the on line Polish
cookbook as I did, you would see that the word
refers very specifically to the variety of plum
known as the Hungarian plum.  Specific quote:

"We~gierki - Known in Polish as Hungarian plums,
they are widely used in Polish cookery . . ."

My dictionary also shows that the more generic
Polish word for plum is either s~liwka, rodzynka, or gratka.

And finally, I am also relying on the map itself
which shows adjectival forms as follows (the
mailing list might not see the italics but the
last word in each term is on the map in italics):

Kol. Wia~czemin Niemieckie

Wia~czemin Polskie

Wia~czemin We~gierki

Wymysle Polskie

Wymysle Niemieckie

Kol. Nowosiodly We~gierki   or perhaps  Swiniary We~gierki

Niemieckie = German
Polskie = Polish
No reason not to assume that We~gierki = Hungarian (in my opinion)

While the italics on the map are not exclusive to
the descriptive word, I believe that is the implication here.

It is not necessary for the term to apply solely
to "Hungarian females" as settlers in this
area.  The term used in my dictionary to
generically describe Hungarians is We~gierski
(note the s).  Anyone who has studied Polish maps
as I have will know even Polish map markers are
inconsistent in agreeing on endings of many place
names.  Minor changes through dropping or adding
a letter can make a significant difference in the meaning.

Note that in other regions, especially around
Lipno but in other places as well, there are
place names given with the descriptive adder
"Romunki" or similar which, according to well
known Polish language expert Fred Hoffmann, implies Rumanian origins.

Mr. Hoffmann is well respected in Poland and
elsewhere as a Polish etymologist.  I will
forward the question to him for his
interpretation without expressing my opinion.  I
will report his interpretation to the list and,
if I am wrong, I will certainly apologize.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca