[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] LACHMANN oo MANTEI APPEL oo MANTEI USA Canada

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Fri Jan 23 14:14:07 PST 2009

My grandfather EMIL BETHKE's mother, AUGUSTE SCHULZ m. an AUGUST BETHKE ca. 1890s (My grandfather was born 1893) and when AUGUST BETHKE died - she married a LACHMANN.  He was a widower and his 3 children went to the USA - then he followed when his wife AUGUSTE SCHULZ/BETHKE/LACHMANN died in 1919.  There are LACHMANN names in the Benton Harbor, Michigan area acc. to the census and some other sources I had - a church register which someone had transcribed. Check the www.sggee.org site for records of St. Matthew's Church in Benton Harbor

Also, the MANTAI name comes up in the Benton Harbor and Niles, Michigan area.  A distant relative - ADOLF BAIERS of Benton Harbor area was married to a CAROLINE BRENNER - and her parents were FREDERICK and PAULINE MANTAI - although they did not immigrate to the USA - they did have other MANTAI family in the Benton Harbor area.  My BAIER family came from Boruwka and Solomka/Friedrichsdorf area - not far from Rowno - so the parish would have been Zhitomir.

Helen