[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Given name Robert

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Sat Jun 13 08:16:16 PDT 2009

marlo schrieb:
> I found the name Robert for a male cousin who was born probably in Pommern between 1868 and 1870.  Isn't that a strange name for a boy born in that area?
> Marlo

Marlo,
most probably an unusual given name was taken from a famous person of
the ruling class. Though Robert was indeed not unusual, there were
several famous Roberts in Pomerania at that time:

    Baron Robert von MASSOW, * 1839 Pomerania, + 1927 Wiesbaden, was a
    Prussian general and president of the Inperial Military Court.
    Robert von PUTKAMER, * 1828 Frankfurt/Oder, + 1900 Karzin,
    Pomerania, was a Prussian politician (1879 to 1881 Prussian Minister
    of Culture).
    Graf Robert von der GOLTZ, * 1817, + 1869, was Prussian envoy in St.
    Petersburg from 1862 to 1869.

Günther