[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] SEARCHING HENKEL, MICHALEWICZ, TUCZEK, RUCHOTSKE

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Mar 2 16:36:51 PST 2009

Carole schrieb:
> I am searching for history of my grandparents, Ludwig Henkel and Franciska Michalewicz.  I have attached a copy of my grandmother's birth certificate which is a translation made by the post office in Ashern, Manitoba.  I need assistance with the birth certificate.  Was my grandmother born in Austria?
Hello Carole,
as the translation says: yes.
But there are several very unusual details in it:

   1. "Austro-Hungarian Monarchy" was not an official designation. Birth
      certificates were issued by the parish offices which didn't use
      the official designation of the monarchy
      (there were no civil registration offices in the
      Austrian-Hungarian Empire),
   2. there was no village Tyszmica in the environment of Józefów,
      Galicia. The closest spelling of a nearby village was Tetewczyce,
   3. Franciska was not a common spelling in Austria (German: Franziska;
      Latin: Francisca),
   4. the spelling LEDEMANN of the reverend is not common, neither in
      Germany nor in Austria; closest: LADEMANN but none in Galicia,
   5. the spelling MICHALIEWICZ is not common in Poland; closest:
      MICHALKIEWICZ but none in Galicia
      (instead: BREUER and DEPNER were common names in Galicia;
      Friedrich BREUER was born 1863 in Józefów).

The evangelical parish registers of Józefów (Radziechów), Galicia are
microfilmed: Taufen [baptisms] 1845-1890 -  FHL INTL Film [ 2271743 ]

By the way: How did you succeed smuggling an attached JPEG file through
the list server? - great!

Günther