[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA Testing

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sun May 3 08:05:59 PDT 2009

Beth,
Testing your son would provide you with your husband's y-dna haplogroup,
not your father's. Since you don't have brothers, you'd have to ask an
uncle (brother to your father) or an uncle's son (first cousin who has
the same surname as your father). You need to test a male who carries
the same surname as your maiden name. If you don't know of anyone,
you'll have to intensify your paper trail search until you find some
male cousins with that surname. Even if they are second or third
cousins, their y-dna will still be quite close to the results you'd get
if you had a brother for the purposes of tracing genealogical history.

Regards,
Sigrid Pohl Perry