[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] more on NEUMANN< DOBERMAN, KLEBE, and SCHLAK

Dave Neumann denuma at rogers.com
Mon May 11 23:05:23 PDT 2009

These families all travelled on the Empress of Australia, departing
Southampton, England, on May 11, 1929, and arriving in Quebec, Canada on May
19, 1929. I am interested in these three families because my father, Emil
NEUMANN and his wife Adolina, made the same voyage, and these families are
all Germans from Ukraine. I searched the records and found more details that
may help, although the handwriting in these records can sometimes be
difficult to work out.

DOBERMAN, Joseph (35) identified Ernst Lange, a cousin, as his destination
contact in Guernsey Saskatchewan. He also lists his parents, Ferdinand and
Augusta Doberman, of Korosten District, Volhynia, as his relatives in the
land he left. Joseph Doberman travelled with his wife, Martha, and children,
Nina, Valentina, Robert and Reinhold.

KLEBE, Ernst (49) identified his daughter, M. Mass (Hass?) and son-in-law,
Jonathan Mass, as his closest relatives in the place he came from. They
lived in Lungewej, Wiestental, Shitomir Kreis. His destination in Canada is
the CPR Col Dept. Ernst KLEBE travelled with his wife, Anna, and children,
Aduna, Attilise, David, Johann & Jonathan.

SCHLAK, Friedrich (44) lists his destination/sponsor as the Lutheran
Immigration Board of Canada (LIB) office in Winnipeg MB. Relative in the
homeland identified is his brother, Adolph SCHLAK, of Bobritzkaya Buda,
Volhynia, Ukraine. Note: Bobritzkaya Buda was also known as Gnadental. We
were there last year searching for information on relatives - possible
connections to Kallasch family. Friedrich SCHLAK travelled with his wife,
Martha, and his daughter, Vanada (?).

Please contact me if you are in any way connected with these families. I
believe they would have known one another, and known my father, Emil NEUMANN
and his wife Adolina, who travelled on the same ship. Emil's grandfather,
Christian NEUMANN, lived in Ostrowka, Volhynia, very close to Gnadental
(Bobritzkaya Buda), and he started his journey out of the USSR by taking the
train from Korosten to Moscow in March 1929. All four families (NEUMANN,
DOBERMAN, KLEBE and SCHLAK) were supported by the Lutheran Immigration Board
of Canada. I suspect that the SCHLAK family may have been related to
Adolina, so I am especially interested in any SCHLAK connections you may
have.

David Neumann

Phone: 519-759-7885