[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] storing genealogical information

Otto otto at schienke.com
Wed May 13 17:16:31 PDT 2009

Last fall one morning before I checked E-mail, I saw my "trash" needed
emptying and did so with a quick  keyboard command. I was horrified
when it didn't do a "blip" and done . . . It kept erasing for 30
seconds! I checked my "desktop" (on an iMac) and saw that the night
before I obviously had dragged a folder with two months work in it
including one of a kind graphics into the trash with a "right/click"
command. Gone! After pounding my head on the tabletop for five
minutes, I'd recognized where the problem was, I decided to organize
properly.

The iMac system has an application called "Time Machine" that backs up
hard-disks connected every hour on the hour while the computer is in
use. Should something "disappear" as did my folder, Time Machine
allows me to go back in time by the hour to the beginning of its use
and "restore" any missing files or folders or whatever to my desktop.

To use the Time Machine application I purchased a Lacie 500 gigabyte
hard-drive (disk memory is inexpensive) and dedicated it to the sole
use of the Time Machine application for backup. It backs up my iMac
hard-drive and my auxiliary hard-drive.

THE BEST PART- When I started the new Lacie Hard-drive it had its own
backup application on it (which I didn't use).  I am certain a similar
application is available for Microsoft Windows machines.

Why keep track of which files you backed up and when?
                        Back up everything!
Everything on my hard-drive is backed up, including the operating
system, behind the scene while I work, every hour on the hour.

I no longer need be accused of "senior moments"...  :D))

On May 13, 2009, at 11:29 AM, F&RM Haddad wrote:

> I'm the one who had the near-miss
> So in your opinion, what is the best way (what are the best ways) to
> store
> your information?
>
> Rose-Marie

. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 04, 2009-