[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Gertrude and Henriette

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 17 09:23:53 PST 2009

I don't know if it is possible to make a definitive connection without some other clue - such as a later record of Henriette (perhaps a death record) that records her name as Gertrude Henriette.

Gertrude is not common but does occur 333 times in our MPD (some of which of course are duplicated).  It was common for Germans in the 19th century to be known by their second name.  If that second name is not recorded at baptism, it is quite possible that these two are the same persons.

Many similar examples can be cited.  In one ancestral record of mine, the girl is baptized in the Catholic Church at Dabrowice as Anna Christina.  A week later, the same girl appears to be rebaptized (or at least entered in the record book) at the Chodecz Lutheran Church with the name Katherina Anna.  (Going from memory here so the exact names might be different.  This is just an example.)  In another case, my ancestral female is recorded with a certain name at the births of all her children yet her name is recorded differently at her death, even though her age, children listed, and predeceased husband are all correct.

Possible, plausible, probable - yes.  But 100% certain - no.

Jerry