[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish parishes and Polish place names

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 10 06:56:44 PDT 2009

The issue of governing districts in Poland is very complicated due to
many changes over the past 200 years.  Even the LDS files their
microfilms by a district convention in place after WW II that has no
relevance to today nor to pre WW II boundaries.  You can imagine with a
database of over 450,000 names, that we get numerous variations on how
that information is reported to us.  One of our volunteers in Germany
recently completed a gazetteer of all known villages where Germans lived
in Russian Poland.  He standardized the system of location to the modern
boundaries along with other detailed info.  Data entered into our
databases will be based on that so that we have a standard format.  This
gazetteer, which also includes parish names, will be made available on
line later this year.

Unfortunately, I now have to complicate your personal research a little
more.  On Albert Breyer's map of German villages, he shows Chwalborzyce
Holendry a few km SE of Domanin (south of Dabie).  On a modern map at
1:200,000 scale, this is shown as the village of Chwalborzyce.  On
another map at 1:50,000 scale, I found not only the village of
Chwalborzyce in this location but another village north of Domanin,
towards Dabie, called Holendry Chwalborzyce.  So, the question becomes -
was Breyer's name wrong, was the location wrong, is the 1:50,000 map
wrong, or did the name change over time?  And, did Germans live in both
places or only the Holendry?

Similarly, Oskar Kossmann provides a map of German villages which shows
the village of Gadowskie Holendry.  A modern map shows the village of
Gadowskie in this location AND the village of Gadowskie Holendry another
5 km or so to the north.  So which of these two villages is the one that
really held German residents or did they both?

In another posting, Joe gave you some hints about narrowing the search
for places like Gorki.  In addition, you may find place names replicated
more than once within a parish or district.  To narrow that down even
further, you will have to look at the village names for witnesses in the
document.  You may find a cluster of villages that will help you to
narrow down the correct one that has choices.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB