[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] kruschk

Sig Matt sigmatt at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 5 15:20:48 PDT 2009

 Rita,

In the Eastprussian Plattdeutsch Kruschke is a wild growing pear, somewhat smaller than the common pear. Hard and bitter before ripening, sweeter than the common pear when picked at the right time.
Fruit drying was a common practice in that time period. In our family most fruit was preserved through canning in Mason type fruit jars. It would become
a delicious treat around Christmas time.

Sig Matt