[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans Migrating to Volynia

joepessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Sun Apr 18 16:36:29 PDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of Ronald
Roggow
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 9:15 AM
To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Cc: Ron Roggow
Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans Migrating to Volynia

I am curious about Jerry Frank's entry in the Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest,
Vol 83, Issue 10, where he states Catherine the Great's Manifesto had no
influence  on the reasons for Germans settling in Volynia.  I had assumed
(apparently incorrectly) that her manifesto was the reason for Germans
settling in western Russia.

Where can I find historical information on why Germans came to settle in
Volynia?
========
You might check this site:
http://www.volhynia.com/history.html

" 1861: Tsar Alexander II granted freedom to serfs, the peasants who worked
for large farms. As a result, some of the nobility started selling land, and
a large-scale migration of Germans into the area took place.”

Joe in Texas