[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynians in South America (and conference kudos)

Edie Adam edieadam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 17:05:37 PDT 2010

Hello list: On my return from the SGGEE conference in Edmonton, I stopped in
Fargo to visit the Germans from Russia Heritage Collection at North Dakota
State University. They have a small but interesting collection of materials
on Volhynia, and one of the librarians is a Volhynian! He told me his family
from West Prussia was among those to arrive in Annette/Josephine as those
two first colonies were being founded. But they found the land too swampy
and moved on to Bessarabia within a few years. That's a reminder that
Volhynians wandered into areas covered by other societies and we have
interests in common.

The director of the GHRC, Michael Miller, mentioned that they are
considering a documentary on Germans from Russia in South America, and I was
able to tell him that Volhynians in some numbers went to Brazil. Michael is
looking for North American families with a family branch in South America as
part of the research for a potential documentary. Apparently, some G-Rs
boarded boats for "America" and to their shock, were delivered to South
America instead.

If you know of a family with links in both Americas, please contact Michael
at michael.miller at ndsu.edu.

And kudos to those who organized the conference; it was again an amazing
weekend, and I strongly recommend the SGGEE conference to everyone on the
list. You will learn something!

Edie Adam
Virginia, USA

Researching Adam, Ratz, Dause in Poland, Volhynia and Russia