[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Herzog surname

marmel marmel at pctcnet.net
Mon Jan 4 19:04:16 PST 2010

HERZOG research:

I have the surname HERZOG in my research database from the Lutheran Church records of Czerniejewo, Poland (aka Schwarzenau, Provinz Posan, West Prussia) with 2 females, one born in 1853 in the village of Grabowo, Wielkopolskie, Poland (just NE of Gnesen), and one married in 1865.  I don't know how common the surname is, but it is one I hadn't heard previously.  Perhaps it was a common surname to the Posan area in mid 1800s?  This area of the Czerniejewo Lutheran Church encompassed an area of current day Poland located east and slightly northeast of the city of Poznan.  It was German Prussian in the 1800's, and on the border between West Prussia and Poland or Russia.  In case anyone else is researching the HERZOG surname, the names I have are:

LDS microfilm #1960606: Geborren [Births] 1853; Record #005:  birthplace: Grabowo hauf; child's name: HERZOG, Ottilie Caroline; born: 17 Jan 1853; baptized: 17 Jan; father: Christlieb HERZOG, wirsh.; mother: Anna Caroline geb. STEINKE; godparents: 1) Johann August Rieske, junggesell, 2) Anna Juliana Steinke, jungfer, 3) Anna Maria SCHULZ, ehefrau
Ottilie Caroline HERZOG
born: 17 Jan 1853 in Grabowo, Wielkopolskie, Poland
baptized: 17 Jan 1853 in Czerniejewo, Wielkopolskie, Poland
parents: Christlieb HERZOG & Anna Caroline STEINKE

LDS microfilm #0810530: Getraute [Marriages] 1865; Record #11
Anna Justine HERZOG, age 21y 2m
born: Jun/Jul 1844
Grabowo, Wielkopolskie, Poland
father: Michael HERZOG, einwohner, deceased
married:  03 Sep 1865 in the Lutheran Church, Czerniejewo, Wielkopolskie, Poland
spouse: Ludwig SCHACHTSCHNEIDER, age 27 (born 1838, Nekla haul, Wielkopolskie, Poland); note: 2nd marriage to Auguste HERZOG

The referenced surnames STEINKE and SCHACHTSCHNEIDER (listed above) are related to the surname SCHULZ, which is my ancestry.

Linda
in Wisconsin, USA