[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family BRACHMANN from Dombrowa and Romanow / Volhynia

joepessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Tue Jan 5 20:50:32 PST 2010

I appreciate the supporting messages.  We had only a photo of a small village in Bavaria, with German writing on the back that said, “The town of Utzenhofen near Amberg, the post of which comes through Kastl, where Theresa Beer spent her childhood.”   Theresa was my grandmother.   A letter was written to the postmaster in Kastl, asking if there were any people still living in the area by the name of Beer or Schuster (my grandfather’s name).  The postmaster sent the letter to the postmaster in Kastl.  He had been postmaster there for many years.  But, he could not read English.  A neighbor transcribed it for him, and he said, “Yes, there are families still living here with those names.  My mother was a Beer, and there is a Schuster descendant a block away!”  The postmaster was my cousin, and so was the Schuster descendant.  My wife and I have spent many days on numerous trips there to visit with those families.  We had the same results with both of my other grandparents families, Pessarra and Conrady.  With letters in the past year to families in South Africa, we have located some of my wife’s distant relatives.

So, good luck to all of you on your contacts.  Don’t give up.  You will get some results.

Joe in Texas