[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia place names

Dave Proper dproper at charter.net
Wed Jan 6 20:27:20 PST 2010

Hi All,
I have started the process of standardizing my Polish and Volhynian place
names according to the new SGGEE Guidelines for places. Thus far I have done
the easy ones and now am getting to the last few that are much harder to
resolve. My current quandary is the all-to-common multiple place names that
can exist with in a very small area. Case-in-point:
I have a Gustave Adolph Kugler, b. 29 Oct 1871. Before it was easy - he was
simply born in Bolarka, Volhynia (from the St Petersburg Consistory
records). Now the gazetteer for Volhynia presents me with six choices to
nail down the specific location:

1)Bolarka (Bialogrodka/Bilohorodka), Dubno, Rivne, Russian Empire (Ukraine)
501837 253247
2)Bolarka (Sosnowa-Bolarka/Vesnianka), Chervonoarmiisk, Zhytomyr, Russian
Empire (Ukraine) 503411 281616
3)Bolarka-Radecka (Radziecka-Bolarka/Radetska Boliarka), Chervonoarmiisk,
Zhytomyr, Russian Empire (Ukraine) 503524 281513
4)Boljarka (Balarka/Boliarka), Novohrad-Volynskyi, Zhytomyr, Russian Empire
(Ukraine) 503030 274530
5)Boljarka (Bolarka Stara/Boliarka), Zhytomyr, Zhytomyr, Russian Empire
(Ukraine) 501938 282127
6)Boljarka (Bolarka-Prosiecka/Boliarka), Yemilchyne, Zhytomyr, Russian
Empire (Ukraine) 505100 273900

My first thought was "where were his siblings born?" An older brother, a
younger sister and two younger brothers were all born in Glueckstal (all
from the St Petes records). So which of the Bolarka's is the closest to
Glueckstal and most likely of the six? That results in a list like this:
#4 - 29 km
#5 - 42 km
#2 - 50 km
#3 - 51 km
#6 - 67 km
#1 - 171 km

So now I am leaning towards #4 but still looking for something further to
tie it to that place. I looked at the Volhynian parish formation list
http://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/parish_histories/VolhynianParishesDia
gram.pdf
and in the year 1871 there were four parishes - Shitomir, Kiev, Rozyszcze
and Heimtal so that doesn't seem to provide and any further refinement.

Without any further information a reasonable person would opt for Bolarka
#4. Does anyone have further insight as to how to make the selection? Or
should the option at the bottom of page 8 of the guidelines be used -
Bolarka (many found),,,Poland?

Dave Proper

p/s Thanks to Frank Stewner and the others who put in countless hours
creating these wonderfull new research tools!