Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Searchig for "Scherfer" or " Schärfer "

Richard Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Thu Jan 28 14:47:07 PST 2010

Hi Reiner,

I can try to answer your questions.  Probably other people on the list will
be able to add further answers.
1.  In the Polish records, the names of Germans were often recorded as their
Polish equivalents.  It appears that the Polish name Oztrzynski may have the
same meaning as the German name Scherfer.  So you will have to be on the
lookout for both forms.

2. The family search site is still there.  Browse the locations to find
Russia, and then Russian Lutheran records.  These are images of the Lutheran
records held in St. Petersburg Archive.  They do not include Lutherans in
Poland.

3.  The St. Petersburg Archive records have been indexed and appear on the
Odessa site.  You are right in that some years are missing and they cover
only until the end of 1885.

4.  I can't help you with Julius Scherfer.

A quick look at SGGEE databases yields only a few Scherfer / Schaefer names
around Lodz, Poland, and a few names from the 1880's in Rozyszcze parish in
Volhynia.

I hope this helps a little.

Dick Stein