[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Dabie Lutheran

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Sat Nov 13 09:52:20 PST 2010

Looking at one source, Names, Nicknames and Misspelled Names by  Nancy
Ellen Carlberg, which is more a collection than an explanation, I had  thought
you would be most certainly correct, but not according to this  book.   Luise
says see Louise, Lucy and there are dozens of versions  of those, but
nothing close to Elizabeth, as would seem logical -  Liza/Louisa/Luise.   In
another source, German Names - A Practical  Guide by Kenneth L. Smith, a very
scholarly approach, again, many versions  of Elizabeth, but beginning with Li
rather than Lo or Lu.  Louise or  Luise isn't even mentioned here.   So this
Luise appears to derive from  Louise or Lucy rather than Elizabeth..
According to The Facts on File  Dictionary of First Names by Dunkling and
Gosling, again, lists of  alternates and nicknames for Elizabeth along with its
historical origin but  none beginning with Lo or Lu.  Louise is declared as the
French feminine  form of Louis. Lucy is stated to be the "normal English
form of  Lucia".   Luise is not listed.

If I locate anything to the contrary, I'll let you know.

Maureen

In a message dated 11/13/2010 9:11:37 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,