[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] A book that could be of Interest to this group.

Krampetz at aol.com Krampetz at aol.com
Sat Nov 13 13:52:59 PST 2010

As I am also researching relatives from the late 1800's from the Lida
area,  I obtain postings from LidaRoots group on Yahoo.com.
           (my Lida  interest = names: Jakuc, &  Niewiera,   town: Nieciecz
4km east of Lida)

I received the following posting from LidaRoots that could be of interest
to others.
I know I am going to be buying this book, as so many of the German church
records I get are in Russian script.

$35-40 ...  "In  Their Words:  A Genealogist's Translation Guide to Polish,
German, Latin,  and  Russian Documents  -  Volume II:  Russian"  (2002)
(ISBN 0-9631579-4-9) by Jonathan D. Shea and William F.  Hoffman. This is the
single best how-to guide on working with Russian-language  genealogical
records.

Below are details about the book from  the authors' website
_http://www.langline.com/ITW_Russian.htm_
(http://www.langline.com/ITW_Russian.htm)

This publication includes:
*   over 88 Russian-language documents and extracts from American and
European   sources, analyzed and translated.  They include extracts from birth,
death,  and marriage records of various formats; gazetteer entries; revision
lists;
obituaries; population registers; military service records; passports and
much  more.
*  sections on Russian grammar, phonetics and  spelling
*  information on how to locate records in America and  Europe
*  a chapter on gazetteers and how to use the, with ten (10) maps  showing
Russia's changing borders and divisions.  There are also  Letter Writing
Guides for Russian, Lithuanian and Ukrainian.
*  a  77-page vocabulary with over 4,000 entries featuring archaic terms
and spellings  most likely to be found in records but rarely included in
modern  dictionaries.
*  a 26- page list of over 700 Christian and Jewish given  names with
equivalents in English, Latin, Lithuanian and Polish.

This  book is soft cover, perfect bound, with 496 bindery pages, 8.5" x
11", weight 3  lb., 5 oz.

Can be ordered through Avotaynu, the Polish Art Center, the  Polish
Genealogical Society of America.
Barbara Proko(powicz)
family roots  in Iszczolna, Szczuczyn, Wasiliszki, Ejszyszki, Bieniakonie,
Radun and other  Lida area parishes