[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] name 'Luise'

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Sat Nov 13 15:07:48 PST 2010

Linda - I believe those variant spellings are perhaps more by the whim and
heritage and sophistication and education of the writers of their time,
since  spellings were not given structure until late in the 19th century and
early 20th  century - and many of those were ignored, by the clergy, by the
educated, and  especially by the immigrants and those with whom they came in
contact.   There are far more extensive etymologies for surnames (I have a
bunch of those)  than for what we call given names, though some of those wound
up as  surnames.

You are correct about the 'e' at the end of a name being pronounced in
Germanic names, but just barely, like Porsche, a small 'eh'.  Far less
pronounced than the tin can I drive (Honda).   Easier than French,  though - lots
and lots of that is silent, except when sung, then it is  articulated.   In
addition, many, many, many Germanic church records  are in a combination of
German, Latin and French - and all their  dialects.

I appreciate the Wikipedia references, thank you kindly, but unless I can
see some hard citations, (ingrained from too many years working in the law,
I  s'pose) I consider that volunteer data.  That doesn't mean  it's at all
incorrect, obviously, but there is no proof or reliable  source given for 99%
of those I've ever seen, therefore I cannot bring  myself to justify
Wikipedia as a source either.   I am so  old-fashioned I still look to books, the
calibre of books, the credibility  of authors, and more than one book on a
given subject, for substantive  answers.    Even the publishers of
Encyclopaedia Britannica and  Webster's and the multitude of professorial histories
make mistakes sometimes -  but I think they are more reliable, as is the
O.E.D. and the other  worldwide publications, than anything on Wikipedia - at
least so far, without  knowing where it came from or how it is quoted.   I read
through  some of that Creative Commons gobbledegook; doesn't change my
opinion.   That's just my personal view and doesn't make anyone  else's
viewpoint incorrect whatsoever, only  individual.    .

I just read recently in "Newsweek" that some woman had published a textbook
 to be used for teaching in the schools (of Virginia, I think it was) which
 stated that the blacks in the South fought for the Confederacy.  When
asked  for her authority, she said "the Internet".

Maureen (I'm from Missouri - Show Me!)

In a message dated 11/13/2010 1:06:01 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,