[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] name 'Luise'

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Sat Nov 13 14:32:22 PST 2010

Am 13.11.2010 22:02, schrieb marmel:
> I've been extracting the 1700-1855 German church records of Blasheim,
> northwestern Germany, for 4 years now, and the name "Luise" is spelled that
> way up until the end of May 1853, when the church records start recording it
> "Louise".  I believe "Luise" was likely pronounced "Louisa".  And in those
> church books, the name Elizabeth is consistantly spelled "Elisabeth" so far.

Hello Linda,
in Prussia the French spelling Louise (female for Louis = Ludwig) as well as the German spelling Luise were used.
Louisa is English resp. American instead and was unknown in Prussia and Germany.

The spelling Elisabeth was and still is common in French and German. Elizabeth instead is Anglo-American.

Günther