[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] AGAD archive in Warsaw

pnswork at aol.com pnswork at aol.com
Thu Sep 2 14:02:59 PDT 2010

Hi Paul,

    I visited the AGAD archive in 2001 and managed to find some very useful information.  However, based on that experience, I have the following recommendations for you:

1. Review the archive holdings on their web site and identify collections that you want to search before you go.  Any on-site listings will be in Polish, but the web site may have some of the indexes translated for you.  AGAD does nothave a card catalog like we are famliar with in US libraries.

2. At least one month in advance (preferably two months or more), contact the AGAD archvive via email or letter to inform them that you plan to come, and list the dates that you plan to be there.  AGAD may require that you receive a confirmation letter, guaranteeing you a spot in their reading room.  Without this confirmation letter, you may not be granted access to the reading room and the documents you are interested in.

3. Plan to have an interpreter with you for at least the first part of the first day.  When I visited in 2001, no one could (or would) speak English, so I had to muddle through as best I could until I could arrange for an interpreter.

4. Review the costs published on the web site for copies and fees if you plan to get copies.  I recommend the full-size copies of a scan (on CD).  The scans are high resolution and excellent quality.

BTW, AGAD also has the original settlement records for many German villages for the 1795 - 1806 time frame, including the Lodz area (referred to as South Prussia in many documents).  If you know the exact village, you might find something there also.  During my visit, I found original settlement documents from several villages in the area between Plock and Warsaw north of the Visla River.  These documents are all in German because Prussia controlled the area at the time.

Good luck!

    -Paul Work