[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] WINTERs and HAUSCH families of Zhitomir prior to 1904

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 23 18:41:34 PDT 2010

Katherine,

Unfortunately I cannot help to answer your question about where to look to extend your research past the 1830s.  Perhaps we can help to clean up the story a bit.

As George stated, the detail of Peter's disappearance is wrong but he still could have been conscripted into the Russian Army, sent east, and disappeared.

Next, it is important to understand where your people lived in context.  You mention both Zhitomir and Rozyszce as residences.  This may well be a time dependent issue and relate to their parish of residence rather than actual location.  If you go to http://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/parish_histories/church_history.html and click on the Parish Diagram link, you will see how the parish names overlapped over time.  It is quite possible that your family always lived in the Rozyszce region even though they were identified as from Zhitomir.

If that is the case, then be aware that there are original Rozyszce Parish records are available post 1885 which are not part of the St. Pete records.  We have started to index them but the process is not complete.  They might provide some clues for you about Peter and his family.  The microfilm numbers are available on http://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/church_parishes/LutheransInVolhyniaKievPodolia.html

Hope this helps a little.

Jerry