[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] WINTERs and HAUSCH families of Zhitomir priorto 1904

Richard Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Thu Sep 23 18:21:51 PDT 2010

Katharine,

I picked up the mention of Strathcona, Alberta because I have an interest in
that area.  However, in the rural history book that covers Strathcona there
is no mention of the families you list.  I also looked them up in the SGGEE
database for Volhynia (St. Petersburg).  Are you sure your Wilhelm Winter
family moved from Zhitomir parish to Leschachow in Rozyszcze parish.  The
birth record of Julianna Winter 1875 gives the parents as Wilhelm Winter and
Rosalie Biedinger, whereas the birth records of sons Wilhelm 1877 and
Michael 1878 give the mother as Rosine Wegner for one and Rosine Werner for
the other.  And the marriages of the children Peter Winter and Emilie Winter
are both back in Zhitomir in 1885.  There may be two Wilhelm Winters.
Finally, the name Hansch can easily be misread as Hausch, or vice versa.

The first world war deportation to Siberia of Germans from Volhynia could be
an explanation for the disappearance of families.  Many families were
decimated by the hardships and disease during this time, or they remained
far away in Siberia.

I hope this helps.
Dick Stein