[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Land questions for Volhynia

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Thu Sep 30 16:35:53 PDT 2010

Edith raised these questions a few days ago:

 Can you provide a sweeping summary/generality of what they might have
>> found when they arrived in Volhynia?  How much land did colonists
>> purchase near these small villages, individually or as a group?  Was
>> the land already being cultivated, or did they need to clear forests
>> and drain swamps?
>> Did
>> they cluster/live in the villages or separately on their "acreage"?

There is some information available about these questions, but there are
problems.  One is that it's in German.  Another is that most of it relates
to western (Polish) Volhynia.  But for what it's worth, here are the major
possibilities that I know of:

Hans-Jürgen Seraphim, Rudungssiedler. Agrarverfassung und
Wirtschaftsentwicklung des deutschen Bauerntums in Wolhynien, (Berlin,
1938).  See esp. pp. 17-76.

Jörg Wiesner, Die Soziale und Wirtschaftliche Stellung der Deutschen Bauern
in Wolhynien, 1919-1939 (Bonn, 1980), repeats much of Seraphim's information
and adds a bit to it for the period before 1919.

(These two books are available on interlibrary loan, I would suppose or,
with luck, one might possibly find them for sale somewhere).

Mychailo Kostiuk, Die deutschen Kolonien in Wolhynien (Wiesentheid, 2006).
This book relates much more to eastern Volhynia, and is available from the
Historischer Verein Wolhynien.

Samuel Nickel (or Nikel), Die Deutschen in Wolhynien, (Kiev, 1935).  His
Marxist perspective makes him dwell on economic matters such as the use and
distribution of land.  Again, this is very hard to find. (See my review of
it in the March, 2006, SGGEE Journal).

I hope this is of some use.  Wouldn't it be nice if some bright young
graduate student would scour the Volhynian archives and write a dissertation
on how Germans got settled in Volhynia?

Dick