[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "Lithuanian Germans" in Marijampole, Congress Poland (now Lithuania)

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Thu Apr 14 15:06:18 PDT 2011

Alan,

There are smatterings of information about this area in Oskar Kossman, Die
Deutschen in Polen.  It appears that Mariampol was founded about 1800, along
with a dozen or so other colonies, by one Graf Lubienski, who named it after
his daughter, Maria. This is about it for Mariampol.  He says only a little
more about the Suwalki (Augustowo) Region as a whole.  Following Eduard
Kneifel, Die Evangelisch-Augsburgischen Gemeinden, he says that a
significant portion of the colonists in Suwalki  (and in Dambrowka in
particular) were
Evangelicals who came from Masuria as early as the 1790s. If you read
German, and can find the Deutsche Monatshefte in Polen anywhere, he cites an
article from Vol. 4 (1937), pp. 93-99, A. Pockrandt, "Auswanderung aus
Ostpreussen nach dem heutigen Nordpolen." So you were right about the
immigration from East Prussia.

How many Germans were there in the region?  In 1810 there were about 20,000
Evangelicals; in 1865, 25,000 Germans (note the change in categorizing
them); in 1897, according, I suppose, to the Russian census of that year,
34,000 Germans.  (However, in a chart at the end of the book, based on a
counting of 1835, I can tally up only 2,012 Evangelicals in Suwalki
Province.  I'm not sure what to make of this, unless the 20,000 figure is
way off base.) One other figure is given for the number of Germans in
Wilkowischki, Mariampol, Wladyslawow and Suwalki Provinces during W.W. I:
17,123.  Some Germans in this area seem to have been deported; others not.
But many may have also just fled the warfront.

There must be other sources for info on this area, but I don't have it any
at hand.

Dick Benert