[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Why? was: Reading Handwritten Russian

Krampetz at aol.com Krampetz at aol.com
Mon Aug 8 19:57:30 PDT 2011

I also received records,  in handwritten Russian,  from the  1880's.

My understanding was that Russia suppressed an uprising in 1848
in their partition of Poland.  That triggered their demand on all  in
their region to use Russian in all documentation and  writings.
They also began "educating" all that they now were part of Russia
and their Poland no longer existed.    (The reason why  emigrants
from Poland, of that time, gave "Russia" as their home country!)

Did that all take 20 years to take hold?  Or were those orders not
made until some 20 years later?   Or?

My family tree has many names, dates and places - but am more interested
right now in my ancestor's stories (which they didn't leave, so I  must
reconstruct what I can).     Insights  appreciated.

Bob Krampetz

In a message dated 08/07/11 08:05:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,