[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Why? was: Reading Handwritten Russian

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 8 20:15:53 PDT 2011

Actually, Poland lost status as a country in 1815 so it was Russia from that point on.  The Russians allowed some semi-autonomy so they were allowed to use their language, run their own schools, etc. with little interference from Russia.  There were several uprisings and rebellions over the next 50 years.  It was the one in 1863 that finally caused Russia to clamp down on the Poles, enforcing, among other things, the Russian language as that of education and government beginning in 1867.

Jerry