[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Mary Sitzman b. 1876

Albert Muth albertmuth734 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 11:19:35 PDT 2011

Hi Brandt,

You actually have quite specific information, though it is slightly
misspelled.  Fromberg should be Pfraumberg, now Přimda, in the extreme
Western part of the modern Czech Republic.  Rosshaupt is today Rozvadov.
Pfraumberg the subdistrict, Tachau was the district (now Tachov).

As a starting point, I like using the gazetteer at www.austriahungary.info

You may read about the village at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rozvadov.  Be
sure to check out the German and Czech versions by clicking on them in the
lower left margin (once there, they even have a link to the village website
at http://www.rozvadov.cz/).  The German version is quite detailed, even
more than the Czech.

As in most Central and East European countries, villages can be called
several different names.  And there are usually several sets of
jurisdictions to wade through *and understand*.  The wikipedia jurisdictions
are what you will find on any modern map, but these will not help you find
filmed records at LDS for most of these countries (including Poland and
Ukraine).

For the former Czechoslovakia, every Family History Center has the
*Administratives
Gemeindelexikon der Čechoslovakischen Republik *on microfiche #6000787 and
following--it's part of the so-called Family History Center Microfiche
Project.   Though this reference is in German, the first few pages on the
first microfiche provide instruction in English on how to use it.  Tabula I
on pp. XIII-XIV told me where the pages for the Tachau region would begin
(p. 269, on fiche 7).

Rozvadov is on p. 20, line #32.  Column 8 says that the Roman Catholic
parish was in Rozvadov itself.

Up to here, the theory, and as far as I can go, since I normally do not
research church records in this area of the world.
The LDS catalog does not have filmed records for Rozvadov.

 And, as it posts digitized records from Czech church archives,  LDS has
thrown its own jurisdictions out the window.  For the foreseeable future,
one has to check for records in TWO separate places:  in the library catalog
for films and in the list of digitized records.  This is true for every
place around the world.

I checked the Digital Archives of the State Regional Archives at Třeboň, and
Rozvadov's records were not listed there.  I do not see other similar
archives from Czechia listed at the European History Primary sources
website  http://primary-sources.eui.eu/ .  I know there are several readers
of this mailing list who do conduct research in Böhmen, and they may be able
to tell you how to access records from Rozvadov.  You may end up writing the
priest there.

al muth
michigan

For various ways of representing place-names in your records, see
https://labs.familysearch.org/stdfinder/PlaceStandardLookup.jsp