[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Mary Sitzman b. 1876

Brandt Gibson ironhide781 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 13 00:40:04 PDT 2011

I'm looking for information on my great-great-grandmother, Mary Sitzman. She was born on 28 Oct 1876 (according to her death certificate). I've found her in the 1910, 1920, and 1930 Federal censuses, as well as her marriage to her second husband Christ Hoffman, and an obituary. What I'm trying to find is evidence that either supports or refutes her birthplace as given in the marriage license. In the 1910 and 1920 censuses she gives her birthplace as Bohemia, but in the license (dated 1 July 1919) she said she was born in Rosshaupt, Fromberg county, Austria. I don't know anything about that part of the world during this time period (during and just after WWI) so any help would be greatly appreciated! If it helps, she says she immigrated in 1906/1907, though I have no idea what port she left from or arrived at. She supposedly had a brother named Joe Sitzman living in Pennsylvania who helped sponsor her trip, and brought her over as his "wife" to help her immigrate.  Thanks, Brandt GibsonFife, WA