[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Anyone recognize this information?

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Sat Aug 27 22:33:55 PDT 2011

Edie,

You are very correct.  This is an index to older records.  If you were an
AHSGR member in 1997, you might have a copy of  "Clues" for that year.  On
pp. 63-69 you'll find a short article I wrote about Dr. Johannes Hopf's
activities in 1939-41, working first for the Deutsches Ausland Institut,
looking for records of German migration into Poland (after the Nazi invasion
of Poland), and afterwards for the Nazi effort to determine the "Germanness"
of the Volksdeutsche being brought back into Poland from elsewhere in
eastern Europe. He is the one who found these records of German applications
for emigration to Russia,  Hungary, Persia, Bessarabia, Georgia, and
Volhynia.  He sent extracts of the documents on index cards back to the DAI
in Stuttgart. The "Erhalten    3.10.1940"  and "27.10.1941" refers to the
date the DAI received them, I believe.

Unfortunately, neither the index cards nor the original documents in the
Warsaw archives exist any longer.  The DAI can't find the cards, and the
Warsaw archives has looked for the documents ("AA" refers to the original
document file, "Alte Akten", I think) but can't find any of them. They were
no doubt destroyed in the Nazi suppression of the Warsaw Uprising of August,
1944. Over 1.6 million volumes of Earlier Acts were burned in an attack on
the archives on Sept. 2, 1944. (See Adam Stebelski, "The Fate of Polish
Archives    during World War II", pp. 50-51, which I think is in the SGGEE
library.) I didn't know this at the time I wrote about Hopf, alas.

The sad upshot of   all this is that what you have is all there is.  If you
think there are more Adams in these lists than you copied, send me the names
and I'll look them up on the microfilm still in my possession.  I could also
run off a copy of my article and send it to you, if you wish.

Sorry for the disappointing news...

Dick Benert