[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] scanned Warszawa Lutheran and Reformed Lutheran church records

Kenneth Browne kbrowne01518 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 05:22:12 PDT 2011

On 10/04/2011 10:56 PM, Albert Muth wrote:
> For example, my grandfather was born in the parish of Przedecz, located in
> the powiat of Włocławek in the Warszawa gouvernate, *143 kilometers* to the
> West of the capital city.  While knowing the gubernia narrows your search
> somewhat, records are not indexed in a central location anywhere in Poland.
> (Many US states have always had centralized indices, though these are not
> necessarily available online).

In your example of your grandfather you've raised a question that has
been in my mind for some time now.
It involves the use of the terms, "parish" "powiat" and "gubernia" How
do these terms compare to the birth information below.

My grandfather was born in USA, Illinois, Cook County, Chicago and I
even know the street address.

His father's birth information from the SGGEE databases

Surname       Given Name     Birth Day and Month Birth Year     Event
Place
Lachmann     Samuel             23 Sep             1865
                        Roschischtsche
Father                  Mother                Film or Item     Page
Number     Register     Remarks
Gottfried             Wolf, Julianna     1884089/1       666
            113             Bereske

 From what I can gather from all sources that I've found so far Samuel
Lachmann was born in Roschischtsche, Volhynia (Helenow, Wolynskie,
Poland).

As near as I can figure it comparing my great grandfather to my
grandfather it would be as follows:

Poland, Volhynia (Wolynskie), Helenow, Roschischtsche(Rozysche

The remark Bereske also puzzles me. Is it a place name? Which name
would be the powiat. I haven't seen that term before. Volhynia is the
gubernia and Roschischtsche the parish I think :-\ .

--
Kenneth Browne researching: BROWN(E) LEIGHTON TAYLOR CLOUGH/CLUFF
LACHMANN RUSSELL MORSE PETTENGILL NOBLE SMALL WOLF MROCH LUEDTKE HECKBERT