[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] proverb

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Mon Apr 23 08:52:41 PDT 2012

Thanks to Detlef and to Otto for refreshing my memory about this proverb.
The reason I asked the question was that a seemingly corrupted version of it
appeared in a booklet published in 1911 by the German Group of the Union of
17 October (the Germans in the Octobrist party) in defense of the German
colonists in Volhynia.   Stolypin had recently submitted a bill to the Duma
to restrict German land-buying, and the book (which has just been translated
by Kate Wertmiller in Kiev) was intended to counter his bill by arguing that
the colonists were no threat to Russia and had in fact done it much good in
spite of the labors and hardships they had gone through.  Accordingly, their
version of the proverb was, "The first one dies of too much work, the second
one dies of too much hunger, and the third one still has no bread." So I
suppose the next question is whether there had in fact been another, much
bleaker, version of the proverb (perhaps perpetuated by people who never got
past the "Not" stage?), or the men of the Union made this version up for the
occasion.

Dick B.