[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Poland online records

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 10:27:12 PDT 2012

Barry, and everyone else,

The lack of availability of on-line records for Germans in Poland and
Volhynia is the basic reason that SGGEE was formed.  There is much
strength in working as a team to find data for the benefit of the team,
instead of us individually going over the same data again and again as
individuals.

Records are in Lutheran and Catholic church books all over Poland
(actually most are now in regional archives in Poland), and except for
the ones that have already been extracted by SGGEE volunteers (including
many Lutheran parishes, and some Catholic ones), all continue to hold
the data on our ancestors as undiscovered treasures.   Until such time
as all of the records are digitally on-line and someone has devised
methods to both electronically translate handwriting and add it to an
on-line database with no human involvement, the job will remain for yet
more volunteers to extract and donate their findings to us to add to the
data we already have.

It is a formidable job to extract data from handwritten records in a
language not familiar to you, but I can tell you that the format is
always the same, and that the first extraction is the hardest, and each
succeeding extraction gets easier and easier.   The goal of SGGEE to
extract all of the records of Germans in Poland is an immense project,
and will only provide data for all (and possibly each of you as
individuals) as we extract entire parishes for their valuable data.

I can state with certainty that virtually none of the people who now
regularly volunteer to SGGEE could read Russian or Polish before
undertaking their own family history research.   All who can presently
do so now have learned by necessity to read the language of the records
that they are working with.    The vocabulary needed to be learned is
actually quite limited, and involves mostly deciphering names, dates and
places.  We invite all who are interested in helping us to learn to
extract data and donate it to SGGEE.   Entire parishes are in need of
extraction so that we can finally set that parish aside as done, add
that data to our Master Pedigree Database (MPD), and move to the next
parish.

If you are interested in helping with extraction, please send an email
to Rose Ingram at databases at sggee.org

Now to specifically address Barry's questions

We currently have 54 Daniel Krueger records in the MPD, more than 30 of
them who are born before 1840.   Is one of them yours?   I cannot tell,
since you have not given me enough information for me to determine if
one of them is yours.    Here is a parallel to the team extraction noted
above, however.   You are not a member of SGGEE, so you are searching as
an individual for your data.   I think that you would be better served
to join SGGEE, send us the data that you have and let us merge your data
with our database and send back a database of any records for which we
find a match, or who are otherwise connected to your data.   I can state
from personal experience that this approach worked for me, as my
database has grown significantly by merging my data with the MPD.

Gary Warner
SGGEE Databases Manager