[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] (no subject)

Craig Schiller craigbear at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 11:48:51 PDT 2012

Just to keep y'all updated, I sent a request to the Polish archives a few
weeks ago following the last round of discussion. I haven't yet had a
response, however, so I'm not sure exactly how long I'm supposed to wait
before trying again -- but for the moment I'm just in a holding pattern.

In the meantime, however, I have been given some documents from my
great-grandfather's personal effects which are written in Russian -- so I
already need some translation assistance. One of them is a church letter
which does appear to have a translation into a second language already
attached to it, but it's entirely handwritten, so while I realize that it's
most likely German I can't really tell that for sure. That said, because it
is in a latin-alphabet script, there are a few proper names that I am able
to make out on my own: mostly names of people, but more importantly the
address on the letter is, indeed, unmistakably *Grodziec*. So thanks for
that lead, everyone -- looks like it's now confirmed, you pointed me to the
right place after all.

The other two documents are official certificates of some kind, both
exclusively in Cyrillic, out of which the only thing I can make heads or
tails out of is a date that matches my great-grandmother's birthdate. I
can't otherwise tell what either of the certificates actually is, however.

So now is there anyone on the list who can assist me with the Cyrillic text
(and the German sidebar), or who can refer me to another offlist contact
who can? Thanks.

Craig