[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] NEUMANN, KLEBE, DOBERMAN, SCHLAK, LANGE, KALLASCH, STAHL 1929

David Neumann denuma at rogers.com
Tue Dec 4 10:40:21 PST 2012

My father, Emil NEUMANN, and his bride Adolina, sailed on the ship, Empress
of Australia, departing Southampton, England for Quebec City, on May 11,
1929. Emil and Adolina had gone to Volhynia in March (from south Ukraine -
Zaporozhia) to complete their exit paperwork before leaving by train from
Korosten to Moscow, then from Moscow to Riga, Latvia, where they sailed on
the S. S. Baltriger to London England, with a brief stop in Danzig along the
way to pick up passengers. After a stay in the Atlantic Park Hostel, near
Southampton, they finally set off on this trans-Atlantic Voyage. They landed
at Quebec City, were officially accepted as landed immigrants on May 19th,
and then set off for Saskatchewan by CPR train, arriving in southern
Saskatchewan around May 24-26. I have all of my father's travel documents
from this journey.

I used the Library and Archives Canada site to check out what other
passengers on this ship were Germans from Russia (Volhynia) , and I found
three such families (ages in parentheses):

DOBERMAN: Joseph (35) and Martha (38) and children, Reinhold (14), Robert
(12), Valentina (5) and Nina (2)

KLEBE: Ernst (49) and Anna (47) and children Jonathan (20), David (11),
Attilise (17), Aduna (16), and Johann (6)

SCHLAK: Friedrich (44) and Martha (51), and Vanada (15)

I am posting this message to see whether relatives or descendants of any of
these three families have information about this May 1929 voyage on the
Empress of Australia. I would be interested in comparing notes and sharing
stories. I am interested in these three families because my father, Emil
NEUMANN and his wife Adolina, made the same voyage, and these families are
all Germans from Russia (Ukraine). My father was also sponsored by the LIB.
He and his wife were seeking to connect with the STAHL family in southern
Saskatchewan near Oxbow.

More details from Canadian Archives

I searched the records and found more details that may help, although the
printing in these records can sometimes be difficult to see on-line.

DOBERMAN, Joseph (35) identified Ernst LANGE, a cousin, as his destination
contact in Guernsey Saskatchewan. He also lists his parents, Ferdinand and
Augusta Doberman, of Korosten District, Volhynia, as his relatives in the
land he left. Joseph Doberman travelled with his wife, Martha, and children,
Nina, Valentina, Robert and Reinhold.

KLEBE, Ernst (49) identified his daughter, M. Mass (Hass? Handwriting
difficult) and son-in-law, Jonathan Mass, as his closest relatives in the
place he came from. They lived in Lungewej, Wiestental, Shitomir (Zhitomir)
Kreis. His destination in Canada is the CPR Col Dept. Ernst KLEBE travelled
with his wife, Anna, and children, Aduna, Attilise, David, Johann &
Jonathan.

SCHLAK, Friedrich (44) lists his destination/sponsor as the Lutheran
Immigration Board of Canada (LIB) office in Winnipeg MB. Relative in the
homeland identified is his brother, Adolph SCHLAK, of Bobritzkaya Buda,
Volhynia, Ukraine. Note: Bobritzkaya Buda was also known as Gnadental. We
were there last in 2008 searching for information on relatives - possible
connections to KALLASCH family. Friedrich SCHLAK travelled with his wife,
Martha, and his daughter, Vanada.

Please contact me if you are in any way connected with these families. I
believe they would have known one another, and known my father, Emil NEUMANN
and his wife Adolina, who travelled on the same ship. Emil's grandfather,
Christian NEUMANN, lived in Ostrowka, Volhynia, very close to Gnadental
(Bobritzkaya Buda), and he started his journey out of the USSR by taking the
train from Korosten to Moscow in March 1929. All four families (NEUMANN,
DOBERMAN, KLEBE and SCHLAK) were supported by the Lutheran Immigration Board
of Canada. I suspect that the SCHLAK family may have been related to
Adolina, so I am especially interested in any SCHLAK connections you may
have.

David E Neumann

519-759-7885

On Twitter @denuma99